Tuesday

[the importance of Cornflakes]

Do you remember when you were a child and your mom forced you to go to the grocery store, and she would wind you through these crazy endless aisles of brightly colored advertisements? You'd be stuck in a cart or have your hand plastered to the side, be scolded for so much as thinking of touching anything that wasn't attached to your person, and be in utter shambles for the denial of a box of Honeycombs or Cap'n Crunch.
Oh sweet god, how I loved cereal.
Really the only thing I can think about lately is nostalgia. Usually this topic only ever surfaces when my friends and I are drunk beyond functioning and we have a debate on our favorite Power Ranger or Transformer. The things that make us have those nostalgic feelings. I'm a product of the late 80's, I missed the epic wear of that decade, but I managed to catch most of their cartoons. Nothing makes me miss being a kid more than cartoons. [Oh, also, being able to run without virtually shriveling up into a ball of dehydrated, wheezing body fat, I miss that too.] I remember many of my favorite childhood cartoons, it's a rather long list which contains the likes of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [Donatello is the best], Sailormoon [Sailor Mercury is the best], Garfield, Hey Arnold! and Xmen.
I remember running upstairs to be the child in charge of the remote control at 7:00am on a Saturday morning and tuning into my grand four hour lounge in front of the television. "1 saturday morning" on ABC, that was a glorious time.
This post really has no point. I just really miss being excited by things like that. Now, I'm being asked that I [read: forced to] become a responsible adult, which requires me to go to college and gain a career that will pay my bills, not spend my money on stuffed plush Pokemon and now implement the tools that my cartoons once illustrated in a future I thought would never come. I, to this day, still spend many hours lounged infront of my netflix account watching whatever "historic" cartoon they currently have available, and even then I find new cartoons that I absolutely fall in love with [Avatar: the last air bender was way too short for my liking]. I still buy videogames and relish my amazing Tetris-capable thumbs.
I feel like my childhood skills are moot these days. I mean, I could beat the first 3 levels of Yoshi's Cookie with my eyes closed. If I was asked to be the stupid damn Pink Ranger, I could damn well be her, moves and all. I can tell you all of the Sailorscouts and all of the original 150 Pokemon. I could tell you the intricate story behind Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but now it would appear that children are all grown up before they have a chance to be a child.
I hope my children grow up knowing the wonders of cartoons. I hope they can own the excitement of eating an entire box of cereal just to get to the prize at the bottom. I demand that my children are able to recite the names of all the characters in each Disney movie. It's not the responsibilities of life I want my children to have engraved into their souls, I want the memories of their childhood to forever be etched into their hearts to remind them as they get older of the important things in life. That is, being alive, laughing, dreaming and imagining.

No comments:

Post a Comment